Thanks for purchasing our Intro to DSLR Workshop!
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions (DSLR Workshop)
1. Is this class appropriate for a teenager/small child/infant/robot-with-a-human-brain?
In this class we will be teaching technical details about operating a DSLR camera as well as basic design and photographic seeing skills. It probably won't interest little kids but would be fine for teenagers and robots-with-human-brains. Adults are free to bring beverages of all sorts but Sara and I don't drink alcohol and there will be no distribution of alcohol by us- but it may be consumed in plain site of robots-with-human-brains.
2. Is this an advanced class? Will you teach other, more advanced classes?
This is designed for beginners and intermediate photographers interested in being smarter than their cameras. We teach why you would want to shoot in Manual mode and then show you how. The second part of the class is all about how to make better images. We'll teach you fundamentals of design as it pertains to photography and give you lots of tips about how to make art with your camera. We will be taking polls at the end of the classes to determine what folks would like to learn next.
3. I have a girlfriend/boyfriend/handler/secret agent/etc. and I want to buy this class for her/him/007/x/etc. but I would like to tag along as well. Do we need to buy two tickets?
Yes, we are trying to keep the classes small so there will be plenty of individualized attention. You will both/all need to purchase tickets to attend. But you will have fun and learn something. And isn't that the greatest gift of all? No, I mean, besides that one.
4. I don't have a camera yet. But I'm gonna. Soon. Can I still take the class?
Sure. You don't need a camera to enjoy the class. I will be discussing all the points and then demonstrating them with my camera on a big screen. There will be time to play and try things yourselves with your own camera. But it is not absolutely necessary. You'll be getting cool handouts that you can refer to later when you do get your camera.
5. Will you be teaching how to use flash/off camera lighting/studio lighting/etc.
No. This class is about the fundamental operation of the camera (aperture, shutter, ISO, exposure) as it relates to shooting in natural light. If people are super interested we may teach a separate workshop for artificial lighting.
6. Will you teach Photoshop/Lightroom/etc.? Are we going to cover post processing?
This workshop will focus on camera settings and image capture. Post processing and workflow will be something we may teach in a future workshop.
7. I have a point and shoot/secret spy wristcam/cigarbox with a hole cut in it. Is this the class for me?
We will be learning the ins and outs of Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras (and Digital Viewfinders). We will be shooting in Manual mode. Many point and shoots don't have a manual mode and most cigar boxes with holes cut in them have poor white balance control.
8. Do I need the latest high end cameras to enjoy the class?
Absolutely not. Any DSLR will do. Even that one.